Sunday, November 23, 2008

Connecting During the Holidays


Poppaw and me ~ Jonesborough, TN ~ Christmas 2006


I just returned from an overnight trip to visit my 94-year-old great grandfather in Tennessee. Poppaw's in poor health, and I knew I needed to see him on a quiet weekend when I could only hope to connect with him.


His ample-yet-lanky 6'4 frame has whittled down to skin and bones. The blankets on the bed barely rippled over his legs and hips. When I first walked into his room and said hello, he held my head close to his, murmuring how he loved me, how life goes by fast, how I deserved the best.


Somehow I let his words and his feeble presence soak in peacefully. I felt a sense of calm, I didn't need to be upset. He'd be okay.


We talked and talked all afternoon - About the people he saw appear in his bedroom and the lights he saw above his bed. About how if I should ever need anything, anything at all, I should let him know. About how his elbow, leg and eye hurt. I rubbed lotion on a callous on his hand, something I know my mother did several times for a week before while he was in the hospital. I thought about the life cycle - how he used to take care of me instead of the other way around.


Again though, I felt a certain sense of peace with the situation. We had the time to connect on a sweet and real level.


As Thanksgiving approaches this week, as you see your own loved ones - family or friends, think about your own connections - with those people and with yourself.


*How are you taking care of yourself this week so you can connect with others when appropriate?

*Are you resting?

*Are you eating mindfully?

*Are you resting enough?

*Are you moving enough?

*How fast are you moving?

*How long is your to-do list?

*How many holiday invitations are arising?

*How are you drained, how are you energized?

*Are you saying "yes" or saying "no" when appropriate?


First, take care of yourself - your spirit, your body - then tend to others so you have something to give. I know it's a tall order of self care, and it's something I work on everyday too, but that self care is necessary for healthy, whole, mindful, joyful living.


If you're in need of a reminder of where to start, I love this "expressions" link to Margo Maine's website: http://www.mwsg.org/expressions.htm - Read the first piece "Thank You Body". Start there, and let that gratitude roll out to other areas - your energy, your creativity, your peace, your rest, and your connections to others.


Happy Connecting this week. ;)

No comments: