Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Zone!




The ZONE! Not the diet, the FEELING! I'm talking about when you breeze through an activity without your mind's endless chatter. You sense the warm feeling of being in your body or in a hobby that oozes with comfort, presence and enjoyment. Time clicks by, but it doesn't matter whether it's 5 minutes or 50 minutes, you sense the connection with yourself.

This "zone" or "flow" or "connection", however you definite it, might be exercise, art, writing, playing with a baby, or even reorganizing your closet or desk. However, bear with me, I'm not talking about escapism. I know it can be easy to "zone out" to an episode of LOST or even run hard on the treadmill only to get to that 30-minute mark. I'm not saying tv is bad, and I'm not even saying that having an exercise time-goal is a terrible thing. But, I do hope you can incorporate a true connection more and more throughout your day.

In the exercise world, it's really easy to zone out. Like I mentioned above, aiming for that time-goal, or pushing as intensely as possible through a step class just to feel the burn and blast the calories. But, what about actually staying present, listening to your body and enjoying the process?

I took a step class last night since my Tuesday night client had trained Monday afternoon. What a treat to enjoy my favorite step instructor (yes, we even have a group honoring him on Facebook - "Scott's Diehard Mansley Mall Step Class").

After setting up my bench with one riser on each side, we warmed up, I took off my long-sleeved blue shirt, and we stepped combo after combo. I found myself bursting with energy one moment, and then I'd simmer down with the next combo. It was back and forth, high-medium-high-medium-low, throughout class.

I used to want to go full force throughout the whole class - and sometimes I still do if I've got the energy. But, last night (like most classes for me) was definitely like a pendulum - sometimes I needed to kick hard and hop, sometimes I needed to stay grounded and enjoy a large but soft range of motion. I stayed in my zone, honored my body when it said, "simmer down, stay low", and I kicked it up a notch with my favorite move or tune!

Classes give me the most enjoyment - I love the energy of all the people. Yet, there are days when I need the repetitive rhythm of a walk, or a nice light sweat on the elliptical. And, I'll admit, if it's an elliptical day, I take something to read like a magazine. Beware of the magazine though! It's a great way to block all the silly number the elliptical's digital screen blares. Yet, it can also encourage "zoning out" v. "zoning in". So, if you're in the mood for a calm but warm sweat (ie - it's a treadmill, stationary bicycle or elliptical day), please tune in to your body. Stay with your breath. Read something light so your attention can stay with your body, and you'll be able to sense what intensity or resistance your body needs throughout each minute.

The goal here is connecting with your body, your breath, your self. Staying present instead of escaping. Having healthy intentions with exercise v. punishing yourself through exercise. If you need helping checking in and figuring out what in the world you can do to even find your healthy zone in the exercise arena, please let me know. I'm open ears and am happy to help. caroline@mybodyflow.com

No comments: