Saturday, February 28, 2009

No Time Like Right Now

I've been waiting for a larger chunk of time to sit down and write, but I'm realizing there's no time like right now. (Even before morning chores, subbing a 945a class, and maneuvering my way thru Atlanta in this persistent rain!)

I've been thinking about the unavoidable topic - the economy. Yes, the E word. Sorry, folks, but if you're not feeling it, hearing it, talking about it, wondering about it, fretting over it, praying about it, then I want to know how you get by!

Maybe you're a small business owner like me, maybe you're a stay-at-home mom, maybe you report to an office everyday wondering if you're next in line. Or, maybe you're watching what you spend like never before, maybe you're cutting coupons, maybe you haven't visited a shopping mall in several weeks.

Whatever your situation, I believe that you still need to make yourself, your dreams, your needs a priority. You might wonder what's truly important, you might feel like you don't know where to start in not only surviving through this recession but also thriving.

Yes, I wrote thriving. Thriving physically, spiritually, mentally, emotionally, and yes, eventually financially again.

Start where you are. Start with your breath - inhale and exhale. Then, find a way to express what you feel inside or need inside (journaling, moderate exercise, a vision board, talking to a confidant). Just because the economy is sick doesn't mean you have to sacrifice your overall health and happiness.

Take care of yourself - your inside and outside self. There's no time like right now to put yourself on top of your list, to figure out what sustains you physically and emotionally, to marry your inside and outside self to get real, be creative and thrive.

And, I write this sincerely. I'm also trying to ground myself during these trying times - even if it means risking spending a little extra money and time on myself - investing in movement therapy, doing more yoga-type movement, choosing more time to write creatively and reflect, choosing where and with whom I spend my energy, saying yes, saying no.

I hope you can take this time to tune into yourself, your needs, your creativity - May this investment in yourself allow you to thrive now and in the future. All the best.

No comments: