Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Stability over Flexibility





You can reach, but you can't touch. Whether it's imperative or declarative, maybe you shouldn't be reaching so hard afterall. Perhaps, maybe, just maybe, you are okay where you are.


Yesterday, while watching a yoga dvd, the teacher said, "Stability over flexibility". Why does it matter how far you can reach if everytime you do it, you fall over? Nothing wrong with falling, it can be good for us! [We brush off our knees and get back up.] But, what about staying grounded? What's so wrong with staying in the moment, where you already are, enjoying that space, and breathing? Why do we [sometimes] tend to push, push, push? Isn't it about the journey? Isn't that what they say?


Perhaps I really needed to hear the phrase "stability over flexibility" this week for myself as well as to remind those whom I'm teaching. I can't be everything to everyone, even when it involves fun stuff like parties, showers and get-togethers. I want to do the fun stuff, the light stuff, the celebratory stuff, but neither can I pour from an empty cup whether it deals with work, birthday candles, bills, balloons, dues, or a night at the museum.


I need my nourishment, I need my breath, I need my sense of being grounded before even thinking about deep stretching.


How about you?

No comments: