Thursday, May 15, 2008

SELF's Recent Survey on Disordered Eating




It's finally Spring in Atlanta...mid-70s, lush greenery, Saturdays on a patio, long walks at Piedmont Park...then dare I mention: lots o' pollen and bathing suit season. Both of the latter have the tendency to make us all run inside to avoid our sensitivities to nature. Or, just use a Bandaid - allergy meds for the runny noses, crash diets for our "jiggly bits". (Props to Bridget Jones for that phrase.)


I'd probably rather have allergies all year than ever face a body image issue ever again. But, I don't get to choose 24/7. And, as much as do my best to listen to my body and honor its signals, I admit: perfection pressure pops up here and there. Thankfully, I'm an old pro at hearing those old, naggy, venomous voices, so I can let them go.


I know when I'm stressed and spread thin, I sometimes get the "fat" feeling. The Bad Body Thoughts. The Body Image Blues. When I'm in tune with my rhythms and set my limits, my peace settles. Again, thankfully, and not to sound almighty or saintly, but each year and each day grants me the grace to move beyond it, to appropriately and healthily use my time, energy and thoughts.


Knowing my own body wars (and working through what's truly behind the struggle) inspires me to encourage others to seek their own truth - with their bodies and their lives. My hope is that this Spring and this Summer will allow you readers to treat your body as your temple - forget thinking everyone is checking out your jiggly bits - tune into your own heart, ideas, creativity and inspiration: Take naps, wear sunscreen, sweat because it feels good, eat fresh fruit, grow a tomato plant, read a juicy novel, say "no more" to someone who irks you, say "yes" to an exciting opportunity, trust someone who moves you, swim in the ocean and trust its vastness.


I wrote this entry because I just came upon a SELF magazine study that reiterates our need to listen to and care for our bodies, to heal our hearts, to respect our limits, to be thankful for all our parts. SELF's recent survey shows that more than 6 in 10 women are disordered eaters, and 1 in 10 have eating disorders. I'll post the link below, but first - if you're reading and struggling, know help is out there. It takes work, but it does get better. A great resource for local Atlanta therapists and support groups: www.myedin.org - or you can contact me directly for more direction: carolineflow@gmail.com -




Happy Spring!

No comments: