Friday, October 24, 2008

Yoga Journal Flirts with Hydroxycut



Yoga Journal goofed. Big time. Big. Huge! (thanks, Pretty Woman!) Here's the letter I wrote last night after finding a Hydroxycut ad in their latest issue.

I'm disheartened and insulted by your Hydroxycut ads in the November 2008 issue. I'm a fitness & movement trainer specializing in those who are at risk for disordered eating. Weight loss supplements like Hydroxycut are a disgrace to anyone trying to unite the mind and body. I realize you've got a bottom line - we all do, especially with today's economic low. (I just saw http://www.americathebeautifuldoc.com/ America the Beautiful, a documentary about how the "perfect" image eats away at self esteem - Several magazine editors were interviewed and questioned unabashedly about how their advertisement choices contribute to disordered eating. Please watch this film.) Please don't stoop so low again. If the next issue has more "diet pill" ads, I'll stop recommending YJ as a resource, and I'll stop subscribing.
~ Caroline Correll
Atlanta, Georgia

I've written several supportive letters-to-the-editor of various magazines over the years. I believe this is my first not-so-supportive one. I never thought Yoga Journal would make me cringe - I literally do a little jump-hop-ball-change-skip when I open my mailbox and see a new YJ magazine! I take this magazine with me everywhere - when I'm drying my hair, in the car when I arrive early to see clients, on trips, to bed, etc.

Anyway, I'm insulted and disappointed for YJ to say "yes" to Hydroxycut. What a shame. It's like when you learn a new friend is a compulsive liar or cheater - fool me once, shame one me, fool me twice...you know the rest.

Okay, that's enough. I've said my peace - I'm patting myself on the back for writing YJ (every voice counts! I hope someone listens...), and now I'm on a mission to research the cosmetic industry more (see previous post). While I don't dream of shopping sprees in Sephora (I prefer dreaming of Crate and Barrel and lululemon), I certainly have an array of phthalate-filled products. YIKES!

Have a great weekend. :)

No comments: