Monday, November 17, 2008

Caving for Comfort v. Cold



That little blue dot is me - when the cold didn't scare me on a hike at Red Top Mountain in January 2008.




Yesterday after waking up early for quiet-time and coffee, then an 845am church service, then three hours of cleaning and organizing (purging lots of junk mail and work notes with a touch of dusting), I showered and geared up for a hike with The Boyfriend and his two squirrel-bird-anything-that-moves-chasing dogs.

I thought I'd be ready to enjoy the last of the fall foliage and be toasty in my new DKNY Active winter coat. But, once I showered, got dressed, and cuddled my cat goodbye, I felt an ooze of warmth spread over me. Not the warmth that shields you from 47 degree weather. I'm talking the ooze of lazy warmth. Cozy warmth. Time-to-take-a-nap warmth.

While driving, I pushed away thoughts of a nap while The Boyfriend watched football (in the back of my mind, I knew I could dangle Sunday afternoon football over his head, and I'd get my nap!)...But, I knew I'd feel better if we hiked Kennesaw Mountain on such a beautiful afternoon. I'd feel energized and beat the threat of cold air!

When I arrived, The Boyfriend had just mowed the grass and was pouring a can of Spaghettios into a bowl for lunch - We weren't walking anytime soon. Fine with me - I'd just felt the brutally cold air outside blow through my what-I-formerly-thought-were-thick pants. And, yes, a windy 47 is brutally cold to me; I grew up in South Carolina, not Michigan. A little football watching while we caught up and his stomach settled (I'm not a football fan, I like the background noise when I'm reading or talking or taking a nap, just like The Boyfriend will allow a Lifetime movie for background noise - a fabulous compromise in my book). That's all it took for me to inch toward skipping the hike.

The Boyfriend was ready to go, and I blurted out, "Are you sure? It's really cold outside?" Both questions, trying to get him to agree with me.

We went back and forth - trying to figure out if we wanted to brave the cold. I was the one who really and finally wimped out. We went on a Pier One and Target run instead. A couple hours later - seared pork chops, collards and corn. Then, a Lifetime movie for me and freelance writing for him. We gave ourselves a luxurious Sunday afternoon - and I promised myself and him that I'd layer more clothes on our next attempt for a Sunday afternoon hike!

So, we skipped our workout. I knew I'd have the rest of the week to brave the cold air if I wanted - or I could stay inside and be comfortable while sweating! Regardless, whether it's too cold outside, too hot outside, just right outside, a busy work week, or a challenge to find a favorite class to squeeze into my schedule, I have to make mindful decisions about including physical activity into my life - just like you.



How much is enough? How does one balance? First, read the next post below. Then, if you're having a hard time balancing or need creative ideas to stick some more activity into your life, drop me a line: caroline@mybodyflow.com -



Or, if you're having a hard time with guilt, like if you're exercising too much, practice some trust in the process. Your body needs to move, but your whole self needs to live, explore, create, dream and rest too! If you have a question about letting go of guilt, feel free to write me too! :)

No comments: