Monday, November 17, 2008

How Much is Enough?




Exercise: How, When, Where, with whom, How much, etc. etc. - I ask myself the same questions! Unfortunately, I'm not age two or four anymore like my nephew and niece above - I sometimes wish for their firecracker-like energy!

I have to balance out the cross training guidelines I recommend to my own clients. I have to "just do it" when I'm feeling like reading The Oprah Magazine might be more fun. And, I have to forgive myself for wimping out - when I occasionally opt for a shopping trip or a nap instead! Overall though, I feel better when I'm balanced physically.

Ever wonder how much exercise you really need? The NY Times recently published an article highlighting some exercise recommendations ( http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/23/health/nutrition/23fitness.html?ref=fitnessandnutrition ).

Each week, I practice my own "exercise balance" depending on my week, when/if I'm teaching, etc. I try to space out my own cardiovascular activity or aerobics classes, yoga and resistance training throughout my week. Then, it's my job to help my clients squeeze in that balance. And, even though it's my job to teach fitness, and whether I've been training a client for more than a year or just a few weeks, we all need to regularly tune in, we need to make sure we're moving our bodies with mindfulness and care.

Because each person's everyday activity level varies, there's no one-size-fits-all recommendation, therefore, I will post a few links for reference.

The CDC defines different types of "physical activity" and recommendations here: http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/glossary/index.html

How much do you need:

Healthy adults: http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/guidelines/index.html
Older adults: http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/guidelines/olderadults.html


To sum it up, for healthy and older adults:
Weekly: 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity + 2 days resistance training OR 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity + 2 days resistance training OR and equivalent mix of the above (like a circuit training class would combine both resistance + cardio training)

Pregnant/Postpartum women: http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/guidelines/pregnancy.html
Weekly: 150 minutes of moderate-intensity activity assuming you have already been exercising. If not, consult your physician. And, if you've already been engaged in more intense activity, you might be able to continue. Better to be safe - Regardless of your past habits, check with your doctor.

So, when you read "150" minutes, that can include a variety of moderate-intensity aerobic activities! Raking leaves, chasing children in a park, a brisk walk - all of those work. And, an average of "75" minutes of intense aerobic activity is less than three 30-minute intense jogs/runs or step classes a week. Add in your 2 days of resistance training, and you're almost there - Don't forget to stretch!

There are many ways to incorporate this activity. There is a balance. Work on letting go of the black/white, all-or-nothing attitude. Even 10 minutes at a time works. Find the aerobic activity that moves you (literally and figuratively), then learn resistance and flexibility training from a qualified instructor.

Happy Moving!

No comments: