Tuesday, November 04, 2008



I just voted! I waited outside in line for an hour at my designated location East Rivers Elementary. Then, it took about 20 minutes inside the gymnasium to complete the process. Hooray!


While I feel hopeful, I still sense whispers of anxiety buzzing through me. I'm not only curious and hopeful about our new president but also ready to stop labeling each other as red or blue, conservative or liberal, Republican or Democrat. I'll definitely admit: I get a sense of "omg" when I hear an acquaintance votes in an opposite way than me. This is even after my boyfriend and I vote differently and share arguments respectfully! I still experience the "omg" in my mind! Then, I remind myself that we're all different. We come from different backgrounds and experiences, and hopefully, we're using our minds and voices wisely with good intentions when engaging in the election process.


As I was waiting in line, I saw that one of my best friends, Mary Katherine, was about 40 people in front of me. We talked via cell phones and agreed on taking a quick walk to catch up. MK and I vote differently - we always have. But, we've also always managed to have respectful conversations and listen to each other's sides. Today, I can't remember how many times we said, "okay enough about politics", then we'd jump right back into a debate! Again, a respectful debate as we walked and breathed, and felt the crisp November air keep us cool as we power walked.


Bottom line - use your voice today, and use that energy everyday through your work, your relationships, your prayers, your body, your breath, your intentions. If you're feeling anxious today, say a prayer the best will happen. Then, keep living everyday with good intentions. You know the saying, "be the change you want to see." You can debate, you can argue, you can stick a sign in your yard this time of year. Keep walking the walk throughout the days ahead - do your part, make a difference.


And, maybe you already are making an obvious difference - good for you! But, if you feel stuck, if you wonder how you can make a difference, start small. Start by writing out your own dreams, start by taking good care of your mind, your body, your spirit. There are a million different routes to get there. First step, be still and listen. Your gut will lead you, your mind will create it, your body will take you.


Tonight we'll find out the next leader of our country. Red or blue: Like many other things in life, either way, nothing will change over night. Either way, we can still be hopeful that we can move forward taking care of ourselves first and then being able to help others. Small steps, baby steps, that will lead to the change and future we want to see.


Cheers!


No comments: