Saturday, November 08, 2008

My Yoga Mat too! - ???



Have you ever thought about how everyday bumps-in-the-road affect you? Your energy? Your reactions to everything else?

Just before I taught an 11am yoga class this morning, I went into a certain Hallmark store in Midtown to buy a card for my boyfriend for our one-year dating anniversary. :)

I walked in toward the Shoebox section I love, and just before I could pick up my first card for a good laugh, a store rep, brunette with glasses, asked for my bag with my belongings: my wallet, my class notes, my planner, my iPod, my cds.

"Is this...a safety concern?" I fumbled for words because I was shocked and insulted that I couldn't shop with my belongings.

"Well, yes." She replied trying to be polite.

"I'm not comfortable giving you my bag - what if something gets stolen?" Here, I'm thinking I don't trust the Hallmark clerk strangers with my bag any more than they may trust me with their merchandise with my bag in hand.

"It'll be safe behind the counter," she offered. I reluctantly zipped my bag and handed it to her.

"I'll take your yoga mat too." My yoga mat? Did she think I had double-sided tape stuck inside my mat to roll up 18,000 anniversary, get well, birthday and condolence cards!? Dear heavens, I'm trying to get people in their bodies this morning, I'm not trying to steal a fortune of greetings from Hallmark!

Once again, I reluctantly handed over another part of me - my yoga mat.

She walked away, and I stared at a couple anniversary cards. One made me smile - something about a furry little creature telling his lover "I'd still pick you." So sweet. But, I was still uncomfortable to stripped of my belongings - in a card shop. Something just didn't feel right.

That's when I decided I'll pick up a cute $4.00 card for my fella when I stop by Crate and Barrel later today while shopping for a wedding and birthay gift. It was about time for my class - I walked back down the aisle, asked another store clerk for my bag (for which she pointed behind the counter and said, "it's right here" - umm, how does she know I'm taking the right bag?). I left.

Hallmark can argue that customers should respect their policies - to reduce crime, to keep costs down, etc. Dear Hallmark, you sell greeting cards, not diamonds. I just can't imagine what people are stealing in there to cause such a stir.

Hmmm...yes, my feathers got a little ruffled. However, I'll play by the rules, but I just don't think I can shop there as long as they're insisting on taking my yoga mat too. Quite silly! I felt disrespected, and I left. Sure, I pray people stop stealing - I also pray that we can lighten up on the greeting cards, or perhaps be reasonable in where customers keep their rights.
When I got home, I called the manager. He was nice sounding. He asked who took my bag and mat. He sounded reasonable trying to explain those who steal awfully affect the retail store's financial success. But, he also said they're extremely busy, to stop in the store next time I'm there to discuss the issue. I understand he's busy, I understand it's a difficult decision to make - to protect their goods and keep their customers happy. What a fine line to walk.

Okay, okay, okay. Beyond Hallmark and glittery cards. This irritated me just before my class, a class I subbed, a class that draws a crowd, a class that consists of many different levels of yoginis and yogis. I'd been a little nervous not knowing what that class needed, not being familiar with the "regulars" in that class, not knowing if I'd give them what they needed.

What an opportunity to be shocked at a retail store, my privacy insulted. I was definitely flustered and angry - but what a blessing to teach that class thereafter.... I told myself to let go. To be. To go with the flow. To not take everything so seriously. The class participants would get exactly what they needed - with my help but mostly with the help of something much bigger.

No comments: