Monday, January 04, 2010

Yoga in the Tub


I've learned that I don't need to drive half an hour to a studio, wait for class to start, stay for an hour and a half, and drive a half hour home to enjoy a yoga session for myself. Luckily, I have the luxury of doing yoga with clients on a regular basis, but I'm talking about Caroline Yoga. Me Yoga. Yoga for me. Yoga for moi. Mi Yoga.

You can guess my favorite place. I thought about this subject because a client of mine is in between homes - she's about to sell her place and move somewhere new. We were talking about finding a way to feel grounded among the packing, selling, moving and unpacking, and I asked her if she has a place of retreat. You know, it can be your bed, your screened-in porch, your backyard, your study, your workout room. I'm talking about that place where you can be alone and, hopefully, be present in your body, with your breath, with your heart.

I love my bathroom - in all the homes I've lived (except the horrible dorms!). I've always loved closing the door, cranking the shower as hot as I can stand it, turning up some lite tunes, maybe taking soothing reading material, then lounging in the shower or bathtub - just me, just my breath, and maybe some gentle stretches as the warm water soothes my muscles.

Yoga means union. Union of the breath, body and spirit. You don't need to commit to a whole hour (although that's still a good thing!). Just commit to finding peace, gentleness and truth within...wherever that might be.

1 comment:

Kathianne said...

This is a wonderful reminder to us all that yoga doesn't have to be in a class. Connecting with oneself is important, no matter what form it takes!