Monday, October 11, 2010

Facebook, Computers, Gadgets & Connecting


Someone (from Facebook) wrote to me insinuating that my blogs tend to be body-and-women-focused. Really? Good job noticing! While, I'm not really sure what he meant by it -- as if to say I should be writing about my personal Friday night plans or my favorite eye candy (mystery novels) -- he's on the mark.

I'm fascinated with how we live (or don't live) in our bodies, and being in your body isn't just for women! Men, you can use a dose of listening to your body too! And, I tend to write for women because, hellew, I've got experience in that area. That's why I decided to create my business to help others find peace and energy in their bodies, and therein, their lives. Lo and behold, I created a blog that happens to be connected to Facebook where we all tend to connect in random and sometimes energy-sucking ways.

Like many of you probably, I have a love-and-hate relationship with computers and gadgets like Blackberries, iPhones, etc. They allow us to dive into a world of knowledge, videos, games, news and the all-consuming social networking. I think it's magnificent to have the world at our fingertips, but I think it's a shame sometimes our fingers are the only ones dancing.

If you read this by chance, take a moment to turn away from the computer (or iPad or B-berry), shut down the Twitter window, and forget browsing for the latest-and-greatest coupons. Take a deep breath that goes all the way down into your belly. Now, see if you can exhale. Let go. Let go of the drama. Take a few more deep breaths and notice how your body feels --

*How are your shoulders?
*Your jaw?
*Is your face relaxed or are your brows in a furrow?
*What about your spine - are you tall and awake or slumped?
*Now take note of your legs. Could they stretch? Walk, Kick, Run, Dance?
*What happens when you follow your body?
*How do you feel when you stay stuck?

Come back to your breath. That's all you really have to do. It will lead you to stay and continue browsing (which I'm not knocking, I'm just saying!). It will lead you to get up and get moving. It will lead you to your truth, your energy, your gut, your hunch. Take time to tune in, to check in, to connect with yourself. There's nothing Greater.

Disease is inertia. Healing is movement. If you put the body in motion, you will change. You are meant to move: from flowing to staccato, through chaos into lyrical and back into the stillness from which all movement comes. ~ Gabrielle Roth









No comments: