Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Your Body Screams - but do you listen?



Do you ever just know something? You can’t see it or feel it. You can’t taste it or hear it. You can’t smell it, and you can’t even begin to try to show someone what you know. Except, thinking again, maybe you can feel it, hear it, see it, taste it and touch it but not traditionally. It might be silent, transparent, tasteless, yet it’s there. Your heart races, your belly might ache, and your hands might get clammy. Your body tells you, and it always has, yet you might have disregarded it since you were a child. Pushed it away, or down, or up. Told yourself you’re too sensitive, that you feel too much, that you’re just creative and imagine a lot.


A couple things have happened lately to people I know closely as well as to me that begs us to honor our sixth sense. A friend recently suspected her boyfriend was up to no good – he gave no red flags – she just knew and caught him in the act. Busted. He can no longer call her crazy, hormonal or emotional. And, she’s found relief and freedom in trusting herself for the first time.


I recently let some things that I suspected all along finally come to surface, and to protect the not-so-innocent, I will refrain from being too specific – but I am no longer shrinking, I am honoring what I deeply know. I am no longer pushing down what I know to be true. I am no longer giving chance after chance. Could I lose things in the process? Yes. But, was what I thought I had even true in the first place? Unfortunately maybe not. Yet, could I also move into a better space of honoring my gut, my hunch, my heart? Thank the heavens above – YES.


We’re given a tap on the shoulder – a whisper of a warning – before we’re given the big blow. Let your sixth sense be the tap on your shoulder, the whisper. Give yourself more credit to stand tall in your own two shoes – to claim what you want or to let go of what no longer serves you. Stop pushing it down, stop throwing it up, stop smiling to make things look nice, stop saying yes when you want to say no, stop running away, stop pretending, stop shrinking. Trust your gut.


And, if it’s too hard to trust your gut, to listen to your body, to trust what you know – if all that’s too scary (and that’s completely understandable), ask a trustworthy someone to support you while you find your own truth. Yes, sometimes it is scary, and it is big, and your body screams. Listen to it, and treat yourself to support, to someone who understands the beauty of the sixth sense.


Since the holiday season brings a lot of pressure to please, to reconnect with old traditions and people, and to make new year’s resolutions (or not, which is okay too!), I challenge you to tune into your body. Tune into your gut. What’s your body saying? Who makes you feel ick? Who makes you feel warm? Where is your heart leading you? Toward something or away from something? What weighs you down – that something you can’t name or see but you just know? Let your breath go to that part of your body where you feel the mystery, and ask it to guide you to make the right choice. If you listen, you will know.

No comments: