Sunday, December 12, 2010

Resistance Training & Body Awareness: How it Helped Me and How it Can Help You Too




Anyone can pick up a fitness magazine or do a quick Google search to find out the benefits of regular resistance training – increases bone density, increases strength for functional activities, increases circulation, improves heart condition, builds muscle, helps one sleep better, releases feel-good endorphins, and the list continues.


I’d like to address the benefits of increased body awareness and improved body image. Throughout my journey of teaching classes and training clients and taking my own continuing education classes, I’m constantly reminded of the necessity to feel grounded, to feel strong, to feel balanced, in order to learn a new fitness activity, to live with energy and optimism, to take care of yourself and others. I believe we gain those senses of grounding, strength and balance from resistance training.


While resistance training (RT) can be traditionally performed with dumbbells, weight machines, a bench, medicine balls, bands, etc., you can also simply use your own body weight with proper form and function. Try taking a ballet or power yoga class if you haven’t in a while – you’ll see how ballerinas and yogis easily challenge their muscles with no equipment!


However, I’ve found that for the majority of us (aka non-ballerinas), we need to learn the basics of RT to sense our muscles, structure and range of motion. And, that usually involves light, medium and heavy dumbbells (or even resistance bands) to hit all the major muscle groups, plus proper instruction to keep the body safe. Add some heart-pumping music, and you'll be movin' and groovin' to your heart's content. And, once we learn the basics and gain awareness and strength, then we can take the foundation of RT into other activities.


As a young dancer and high school stepper (fyi, “stepper” = step class lover), I fell in love with movement and music and decided in college that I could share that love and joy with others in the fitness arena. I started teaching RT classes in college, and I’m grateful to all my teachers who taught me the bones of structuring a class and the muscles of knowledge and creativity. Just beyond my love with music and movement, I admit my intentions initially began with wanting a perfect body. It was sort of like a tree rooted deeply for the right reasons to begin with, but there were a few rotten branches that needed some pruning, and that happened a little later down the road. But, again, while I lifted, pushed, pulled, stepped and leaped with the goal – to sum it up – of a tight ass, this movement of being in my body gave me something deeper and more important than the superficial ornament of looking good. I knew there was a way to “work out” while letting go of the unhealthy (and, as I think now, quite boring), old intentions.


Body Awareness – While on my path of practicing RT regularly and teaching others, I discovered my predictable strengths (quads, glutes), unfortunate weaknesses (pecs, wrists, knees), range of motion and flexibility (I became a lover of flow), and I began to care for that sense of awareness with respect recognizing where I needed to reach and where I needed to relax.


Body Image – My sense of self, not only my sense of body, became increasingly louder and stronger (see my previous post “Your Body Screams – but do you listen?”). My belly, my shoulders and my breath told me when my insides were off. My sense of relaxation and peace told me when things were okay. How does that relate to body image? Body image starts from the inside, a sense of self that permeates from the inside-out telling you you are more than your body. Start from the inside, listen to what your gut and your body needs (yes, it takes lots of practice!), and that truth will set you free. You can walk confidently knowing your branches are exactly as they should be, you don’t need the ornaments of perfection because you listen, you evolve, you change, you grow, you breathe, you are – and that’s all that matters.


Now with a strong sense of body awareness and a healthy body image built from a lot of practice and honesty, I let my body lead me on my fitness path. I teach a full body resistance class once a week, I practice and teach a variety of yoga, I take dance/step classes here and there, and I walk my dog and help him chase squirrels. I back off when I need, I pump it up when I need (my body, not the squirrels!).


I tell this story about my own experience because if I’m teaching it to others, I better have been there. And, I’ve seen this happen with my clients and fellow teachers. Start with the basics. Get to know your body. Seek guidance of someone who’s sensitive and well trained. Then, start listening, and let your body and heart lead you.



No comments: