Monday, September 15, 2008

10-minute rule - It works!




Fall's on the horizon, cooler temps, crisp air...You're anxious for it to arrive because you want exercise to become a regular part of your life. The poolside afternoons (or perhaps desk-side afternoons) became too muggy, too heavy, too HOT. You imagine yourself power walking with the kids - stroller and dogs in tow. Perhaps training for the half marathon taking place in February makes you head to the shoe store. Vacation's over, you sipped the cool cocktails in the sand, and the holidays are approaching. Not another Halloween popping Candy Corn every five minutes, not another Thanksgiving feeling guilty about the second family meal that day, not another Christmas or Hannukah being thankful that freezing temperatures mean hiding your body behind tacky sweaters. You warn yourself: "Time To Get Serious. Now."

But, how? How do you change habits when you take the same classes at the gym, when you rely on Fido's energy levels, you do the same 20-minutes-max walking trail through your neighborhood - or perhaps none of those are even happening!

Time for something new. Nothing's permanent - good or bad. The leaves are changing and falling - or they will be soon enough! Time to add some flavor to your fitness routine. Think dumbells, resistance bands, medicine balls, body balls, a bench, yoga mats. But, wait - don't get overwhelmed!

Use the 10-minute rule to:
a) Try something new.
b) Do something. Anything. Unless you are under-sleeping, have a fever, over-working (Yes! You! Slice your to-do list in half, get to bed for healthy sleep, then we can talk about movement), or are injured - you need to add some regular physical activity to your life. Not a TON of exercise, but the benefits definitely outweigh the excuses.

10-Minute Definition:
Whatever activity you choose - whether you need to vigorously work in your yard (mowing, digging, raking), power walking, playing volleyball with friends, taking a new class or your regular step class, taking Fido for a run, or picking up the dumbells - Try it for 10 minutes. If you are still too tired, too bored, too blah after 10 minutes, allow yourself to stop - but give yourself a pat on the back for trying. I bet you will go longer than 10 minutes - And, you will love the feeling!

Just because I'm a personal trainer doesn't mean my exercise habits come totally naturally and easily to me. Heck, if my favorite instructor Scott were teaching every hour of the day, I'd never have to consider how I want to move - I love his classes that much! But, his teaching schedule and my work schedule allow me to take his class 1-2 or maybe 3 times a week. Boo.

So, yesterday and today for instance - I've been recovering from a moderate medical issue where my body needed to take it easy for a few days. Yesterday I decided to try a walk - see where it led me. Man, I didn't realize the fire I had inside of me until I was swinging my arms looking like "that crazy walker woman" through a park behind my apartment building. It felt fabulous - I didn't keep the time - I kept going and going. With my body. With my feelings.

Today - my day ended up being lighter than expected - I needed some resistance training but didn't feel like I could motivate myself - (I needed a ME!) - So, I popped in a Cathe dvd, was a little uncomfortable thinking about a dvd workout during the warm up, but 10 minutes later, my warm muscles and beads of sweat reminded me of how good it felt (and how much easier the dvd seemed than the first time I did it months ago!).

So, moral of the story - You're going to love how you feel once you get moving. But the list goes on:
*Less risk of heart disease
*Less likely to develop high blood pressure
*Less risk of diabetes
*Less risk of osteoporosis
*Less risk of obesity
*Easier to maintain weight
*Increased flexibility
*Stronger tendons
*Less stress and anxiety
*More energy
*Increased endurance
*Less sleep disturbance
*Better memory and concentration
*Less depression

I'll stop there. And, you're thinking - "okay, I get the 10-minute rule, but what about changing my routine, what about a new form of activity or exercise?"

Regarding safety and form of a new exercise regime, I'll try to post some form pointers for the basic core/weights routines soon, but in the meantime, email me: Caroline@mybodyflow.com - I'm happy to help by answering your questions to explore a new class/training schedule and/or setting up a training session.

Have fun and Happy September!

No comments: