Tuesday, October 21, 2008

America the Beautiful - the movie


America's obsessed with beauty. That's what Darryl Roberts, the film's producer, projects in his film America the Beautiful. Great trailer: http://www.americathebeautifuldoc.com/ Watch it through the end to hear Eve Ensler say: "Stop fixing your body, it was never broken."

When?

Wednesday, October 22 at 7pm
Thursday, October 23 at 7pm

Where?

Midtown Art Cinema, Atlanta (corner of Monroe Dr. and Virginia Ave.)
http://www.landmarktheatres.com/Market/Atlanta/Atlanta_Frameset.htm


******************************


I remembered that EDIN http://www.myedin.org/ sent me this movie heads-up via email a few days ago, but I was in a hurry and didn't watch the trailer until this afternoon. From what the trailer shows, we're once again reminded that it's much easier to focus/obsess/fix/control/manipulate the surface issues instead of digging deeper. And, in my business of personal training, I have to not only practice what I preach but also help my clients dig deeper to be in their bodies more.

It is a journey. Thinking with your gut, moving with your wisdom deep inside. It is a challenge to jump beyond the "I feel fat" thoughts into to "what's really going on?, what am I feeling?, what do I really need?" paths of thinking and being.

I hope we can all aim to dig deeper. Next time you have a "fat thought" or any other thought (ex: "my hips are too broad", "my calves are too skinny", "I'm just not good enough ever"), take a deep breath to sense the feelings underneath - boredom, anger, terror, frustration, jealousy, rage, confusion, excitement, sadness, etc. How can you go there, feel what you need to feel, then make the appropriate changes to accept some things and move forward with other things?

Yes, it's all so complex, and it can take some time (and many times with the great help of a professional), but it gets sooooo much easier. The real journey of digging deeper is so full of wonder. Much richer than "America's standard of physical of beauty". Try it.






No comments: