Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Women Supporting Women


(Ayesha, me, MK, AnChi - my 28th birthday)

Thinking about the recent election with women running for executive offices, and being a small business owner who frequently meets other business owners, and with Thanksgiving around the corner, I've thought about how grateful I am to have supportive women in my professional and personal life.

I hope to remember the honesty, compassion, encouragement and lessons my teachers, mentors, friends, and colleagues have given to me. I hope to pay it forward. Just a few examples and kudos:

Great-grandmother, Grace Haws aka "Grandmother": staunch Democrat, first female mayor in the state of Tennessee (who beat my great grandfather Lyle Haws who's still living!), left a legacy of going-after-what-you-want

Grandmother, BaBa: another staunch Democrat, giver, comedian, makes the best spaghetti!

Mother Laura: go-getter, creative, loves long walks on the CR Bridge, loves to entertain, supportive of other women, giver, oh - and another legacy Democrat (do you see a pattern here?), believes in the power and importance of equality

Sister Judith: fabulous mother, nurse, biggest giver I've ever seen, loves to run and cook, another big "D", fair and sensitive

High school English teacher, Mrs. Betty: Encouraging, giving, "Walking on Water"

College creative writing professor Becky Lewis: absolutely amazing, I think of her daily and wish I could see her daily for her acceptance, encouragement, brightness, beauty, optimism and fairness

Friend, AnChi: her ability to delegate (ha - she's just gotten engaged, I'm on the A-team of planning the wedding; Heavens, love her), her sense of integrity and self confidence, amazing

Friend, Jess: She's got angel's wings, light, laughter, firecracker, strength

Friend, Ayesha: Down to Earth, honest, talented, stronger than she knows

Friend and neighbor, MK: my sweet conservative friend, I hope to continue talking and walking

Colleague and mentor and friend, Lisa: She taught me to teach a class and cue to the music! My springboard to my career path. Honest, hilarious, down-to-Earth, fun, smart, driven and loving.

Colleague and mentor, Amber: Sharp, bright, hard worker, marketing master, seems to know all the difficult answers! Taught me the importance and faith of befriending other trainers, other business owners. There is truly room for us all - we should support each other with integrity.

Accountant Dianne: I only know her through the typical tax season, but I can tell this woman has a giving, honest spirit - She's soothed my wonder and anxiety with assurance, encouragement and honesty. I hope to work with her for a long time!

This is just a quick sample of those who've struck a chord in my heart - I have others I might mention another time (clients, other mentors, etc.). Sure, I started with family. Family's supposed to support you, right? Then, friends. You choose your friends, let's hope you keep picking the most fabulous!

Then, colleagues and other professionals. Outside the home, outside the parties, and outside the book clubs and girl talk - this is where women can reach out even more. Sure, you have to take care of yourself first. Take care of your ideas, your money, your contacts, your brilliance. But, another mentor of mine once said:

"There's room for us all, and there's room for all of us."

I keep my eyes open to connect with others - personally and professionally. We're here to help each other, and we should. We should keep in mind that we all start somewhere, to take care of ourselves first, to be honest with others, and to treat others fairly, with integrity.

I am excited and grateful - Happy November!

*Two Disclaimers:
a) I'm all about supporting men too - Today I'm just writing about about women supporting women for the sake of sharing many of the same life decisions and experiences. Guys, I'll get around to you too!
b) Just because a woman runs for office doesn't mean I vote for her. Quality and vision matter...but isn't it pretty darn cool for a woman to step up there?

No comments: