Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Video Alert! Plus Listening to YOUR Body

A former fellow fitness trainer, Stephanie Huckabee, is about to launch a new video series on QVC this coming Sunday, April 19. (check it out: www.stephaniehuckabee.com) I'm THRILLED for her - She was a good mentor for me, always genuine, when we both taught at The FIRM in Columbia, South Carolina. Her current philosophy is to give yourself 20 minutes a day (the dvds are 20 minutes max) to tend to your body and self. Go, Steph!

I must say, it helped to have a mentor at that time, a time when I was very confused about diet and how-much-is-too-much exercise, weights, cardio, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. Have you ever felt like that? How many days should I perform resistance training, how much cardio should I include weekly? Can I eat carbs? Should I stick to low sodium everything? Should I just do yoga? Should I hire a hard trainer? Should I write down every move I make and every bite I take?

I know how that feels. And, the answer? There's not just one answer. And, with all due respect to Stephanie's videos or Cathe Friedrich's videos (whom I admire also) - you must find what works for Y-O-U. There might be days where 20 minutes of bandwork might be plenty. There might be days where you need a 45-minute power walk. There might be days where you need flow yoga.

Same with food, nourishment. The answer is nestled in listening to your body. And, that's a personal affair that can be supported by a healthy mentor, an empathetic therapist, educational reading material, etc. Eat to fuel your body, Feed your soul beyond food.

Throughout this journey, I encourage you to enjoy discovering what works for you, seeking support and guidance when necessary, and ultimately, taking really good care of yourself!

No comments: