Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Measure Your Energy - Not Your Thighs



I recently had someone write asking about my services, and I wrote her such an in-depth response that I decided this specific portion might serve my blog readers too. This will give you an idea of how I'm trying to help steer the world of fitness in a new direction. ;)

"I’ll honestly say I’m not a fan of measuring or weighing - pounds, body parts, calories, carbs, etc. I tell clients – let’s measure your energy not your thighs. The first time I told a client that she was a little surprised and probably disappointed, but she said, “okay, let’s give it a shot.” She’d just been to Canyon Ranch – weighed, measured and poked – before we started together which prompted her to seek a trainer. A year later she returned to Canyon Ranch. She met with the head trainer again who was blown away by her progress in a year. She was already a regular runner, but we added the weight training and yoga component twice a week for added muscle strength, bone support as she was aging, and flexibility training. This cross training gave her a boost in strength, a graceful and calming sense flexibility, newfound body awareness, and a much-needed break in her busy day as a CEO. Yes, she got compliments over and over on how she "looked", but we both knew the stress relief benefits and the strength she discovered she had were the biggest things to smile about."


So, throw away your scales, forget the tape measure, and stop driving yourself crazy with Points. I believe this intuitive approach to fitness -- listening to your body, finding your internal/external edge -- is a more loving and sustainable approach to fitness from the inside-out.

2 comments:

Kathianne said...

Right on! I'm 100% with you.

Kathianne said...

Right on! I'm 100% with you!